Propylene Glycol, also known as 1,2-propanediol, is a synthetic (i.e., man-made) organic alcohol that attracts/absorbs water. Due to this property, propylene glycol is broadly used by food, drug, and cosmetic and personal care product manufacturers.
Why are they harmful for you?
Prolonged skin exposure has caused irritation, possibly due to its dehydrating effect on the skin, despite being used in skin care products that advertise to do the opposite. PPG can also cause an allergic response on contact with the skin (allergic contact dermatitis), particularly in people that suffer with eczema, fungal infections and in people with lower sun exposure and vitamin D stores.